Thursday, May 29, 2008

Einstein on Religion: Putting the Nonsense to Rest

In case you missed the news, this letter of Einstein's finally puts to rest the notion that he was in any way a traditional believer in gods. On the Bible:

"The word god is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this."

That pretty much squares with my opinion as well. On the Jews being the chosen people:

"For me the Jewish religion like all others is an incarnation of the most childish superstitions. And the Jewish people to whom I gladly belong and with whose mentality I have a deep affinity have no different quality for me than all other people. As far as my experience goes, they are no better than other human groups, although they are protected from the worst cancers by a lack of power. Otherwise I cannot see anything 'chosen' about them."

Keep these in mind the next time some believer tries to claim Einstein as one of his own.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Keep these in mind the next time some believer tries to claim Einstein as one of his own."

Some /conventional/ believer, that is. A lot of deists (I imagine Ben Franklin, for instance, and of course Spinoza, needless to say) could probably fairly claim Einstein as one of their own.

tienda erotica 24 horas said...

Quite effective info, thanks so much for the post.