Thursday, May 1, 2008

Heartland AGW Doubter List Draws Objections

Just like the list of scientific doubters of Darwin, put out by their intellectual cousins in the Intelligent Design movement, the list of scientific doubters of Anthropocentric Global Warming compiled by the Heartland Institute has drawn the ire of those listed. So far almost 10% of the signers are demanding their names be removed from the list, and that number is sure to grow.

"I am horrified to find my name on such a list. I have spent the last 20 years arguing the opposite." - Dr. David Sugden. Professor of Geography, University of Edinburgh

"I have NO doubts ..the recent changes in global climate ARE man-induced. I insist that you immediately remove my name from this list since I did not give you permission to put it there." - Dr. Gregory Cutter, Professor, Department of Ocean, Earth and Atmospheric Sciences, Old Dominion University

"I don't believe any of my work can be used to support any of the statements listed in the article." - Dr. Robert Whittaker, Professor of Biogeography, University of Oxford

"Please remove my name. What you have done is totally unethical!!" - Dr. Svante Bjorck, Geo Biosphere Science Centre, Lund University

"I'm outraged that they've included me as an author of this report. I do not share the views expressed in the summary." - Dr. John Clague, Shrum Research Professor, Department of Earth Sciences, Simon Fraser University


Apparently the anti-AGW cranks think they understand the implications of scientists' statements better than the scientists themselves, again, just like the ID proponents. This is being kind, since more than likely the list-makers simply quote-mined the scientists and hoped no one would notice.

All the gods bless the internet!

No comments: